Thursday, February 26, 2009

Grandma's Gone Wild Part 2....San Francisco.... Day One

Look out Grandma's loose in San Francisco.
February 19
We made it to San Francisco safe and sound and found ourselves getting in the limo around noon. Below is me in what I call my rock star moment. Ha!

Last year in New York I had a similar picture taken so I think it's gonna be an annual picture for me...as to my surprise it came out pretty good...the one last year did as well.
We made it to our home for the next few days and it was wonderful. Right now I can't find the picture but as soon as I do I will post it..... and we call it a home they call it a flat....but the picture below shows you a view of Coit tower that was taken off the roof patio. This was the view from the bedroom that Stacy and I shared...beautiful.
We stayed in a 3 bedroom 2 bath flat in a area called Nob Hill.
After we got to our home away from home we walked a couple doors down for lunch at the Nob Hill Cafe....then to the corner market next door to pick up a few things for the house. Afterwards it was time to head towards The Wharf for our tour of Alcatraz.
Little did we know we were about to have a different type of a tour.
I will call it "The Decent To The Bay"
The picture below shows the view of the bay, which is where we needed to be, which is the walk we made, which will never happen again. We were told it was a 20 minute walk but I guess they forgot to tell us that is for locals...for non-locals the walk is 40 minutes.
But it is a beautiful view. The island out in the bay is Alcatraz.
After walking to the bay and making it without tripping and rolling all the way down...this is the view looking back up from where we came. Still a beautiful sight.
Here are my girls on the ferry boat that takes you to Alcatraz. It was amazing how nice and sunny it was but as soon as we took off it was really cold. This picture was taken before the take off and before the cold set in.
To see pictures of the Alcatraz Island closer up you can click on the right side of my blog to Fonda's blog and look at her pictures...Stacy has pictures as well. It also may be neat to read their recap on the trip from a different perspective.
As you enter the prison walls of Alcatraz you are greeted with this sign.
The Alcatraz tour was amazing and was my favorite part of the trip. I have watched all the movies but to be there is a whole different story. The prisoners that stayed here had no freedoms....I hate to say it but I wish some of those rules applied today....I think our prisoners today have it too easy.
Below is a view of San Francisco from standing on "The Rock" also known as Alcatraz. There are so many amazing views from Alcatraz but surprisingly enough the prisoners could not see that view. When they were allowed out in the yard the concrete walls were too tall for them to see over. Also the windows in the prison were placed where prisoners could not see out. But they said at night you could hear the sounds coming across the bay and you could hear the sounds of a party, especially New Years Eve.
After our Alcatraz tour we headed back to the ferry....the ride was even colder at dark. We hung out at The Wharf and had dinner and drinks at "The Crab House". The food was wonderful. It was the best crab served hot I have ever had. To see our feast you can see that on Fonda's blog.
After we were done we grabbed a cab to head back to the house..... we weren't about to make that trip back up that hill.

Tomorrow I will post a recap of Day 2
Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Fonda said...

I forgot to comment on the walk! Can you believe it? After all, I think I complained the most!

Fonda said...

I am not reading your Day 2 recap until after I finish writing mine.

Robin said...

The only reason why I didn't complain as much is because I was trying to breathe