Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Beach House Update

Hello All!

Earlier this morning I posted pictures of not only my beach house but the area, if you haven't seen them yet please scroll down the page to the 3 different slide shows. It's so much different seeing everything in person than on TV but I will say it wasn't as bad as I had thought with everything I heard on the news....but it does get bad as you go up the coast...but still it's bad. I would think clean up would take years. The debris is awful...I can't believe how much and things that washed away.

As you can tell by the pictures of my beach house pictures I was pretty lucky. I have a few shingles missing from the roof...the roof is still in tack...a few boards missing...my beach walk over gone but the thing that's worse is all the ground (sand) that has washed away from underneath the house, it's not the foundation but just a concrete parking area.

The main thing I lost was my lot that was in front of the beach house....it has washed away and the beach has taken over more than half of it....that is something you can't recover or insure so your just out the property and it's value. There is so much beach erosion it's hard to believe.

No water came in the house at all. The storm surge wasn't as high as expected and my house sits up higher than the surge. It looks as tough all that extra property in front of my house actually helped protect it..which means next big storm I don't have that protection.

So...the beach house is fine...minor...but the area isn't pretty anymore...it will take time for that to happen again.

Jennifer and I are planning on making another trip tomorrow to the beach house to clean out the frig since the island is out of power and will be for months. I think this time I'll walk to the beach and see how it looks looking at the house. Before from the beach it was hard to see my house because of all the protection and dunes but now that's not there anymore...it's all open.

Today we went to my house to help clean up there. Josh and his friend have done a lot...it's still a mess out there but you can tell the progress. My neighbor/friend, her daughter came over this morning and worked for several hours and then Jennifer did a lot as well. So much to do. Will probably make another stop tomorrow after we do the beach house run.

I will keep you all posted through this blog...when I know something I will post it. It's nice staying with Jen and Paul and being in a comfortable home.

God Bless you all...Much love...Robin

1 comment:

Fonda said...

Hey girl, you back at Jenn's yet? I have cannot keep my telephone working these days and I keep missing your calls. Hope all is good with you tonight.