Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rome Is Hot...Day 3...Part 1

So today we had a lot  on our agenda....first, was going back to The Vatican and going underground to where the ground use to be...Rome is layer and layer...underground we were going to the tomb of St Peter.

It is believed when some excavation was going on that they found the bones of Peter.

This is a hard ticket to get. You have to request it through The Vatican. They only allow 120 people per day and in a group of 12.

There isn't a lot of information about this tour in your guide books. I happened to stumble on a discussion regarding this when I was doing research for the trip. It sounded really cool and the fact to be so close to a part of Peter to me was amazing.

I was at first denied tickets for the first date requested but I kept going and was able to secure tickets the morning of our last day in Rome. I was so excited that I can't even put it in words.

Sorry, I have no pictures of this part of our trip...no cameras allowed...it's considered sacred ground.

So...we get there and go through security and wait for The Vatican guide to take us in.
We go in....she stops and talks and then we move forward through this tiny door that is card key coded...we walk in, the door shuts and Lonnie goes...oh no... I can't do this.

We are now in a tomb area with dark rock walls and the halls very small....Lonnie goes, I'm claustrophobic. Someone tells her to take deep breaths and the guide telsl her if she feels the need to leave to let her know that there are exits she can guide her through along the way.

Lonnie gets better and seems to be okay....it's hot...there is no air flow...it's 99% humidity in the caves cause they keep it the way it was from the beginning. There are popes that are buried in this place.
This tour is about 45 minutes long....our group is 16 people  and not 12 and there is a group in front of us and did I mention it's hot.

I remembered I had papers in my purse, I get them out and we use them to fan ourselves...I pull my hair up not carrying how it looks any longer...I have a shaw wrapped around my shoulders cause it's a holy place and women can't show there shoulders...did I mention it's hot.

So we're nearing the end and I'm feeling extra hot and warm and a lack of oxygen...I'm feeling a little off and a little nauseas as well but trying to hold it together cause I want to see Peter. We get in this one area and I know we are close because they are showing us things about Peter. I step back away from people hoping I can catch my breath....Lonnie looks at me and says are you okay...I'm like I don't think so, I think I'm gonna pass out...my body just didn't feel right....the guide is talking to the group and all of a sudden I go....

Excuse me....I hate to interrupt but I need the exit I think I'm gonna pass out with no air....seriously...I'm gonna pass out.
She takes me down a couple steps and in this room next door that has air conditioning and there is an altar that is built to St Peter...she tells me to sit and rest and then if I need to leave she will let me out.
I am starting to feel better...I'm drinking some water and there is air.

The group joins us in the room...she's talking and I ask...so where is St Peter...and she says right here...the next corner on the side of the alter behind glass are some bones that are believed to be his...you could make out fingers...it was so amazing and to think I had made it so far and almost missed what I came to see.

Now I would of preferred to of missed all the beginning and gone straight to Peter's tomb...
Also I would of liked to of known that there was no air where I was going and that the possibility of your own death was possible.
I thought I was gonna join Peter that day.

Anyway, it wasn't what I expected because of  the heat and no air ...so not sure I could recommend this tour ....It is a travel at your own risk kinda deal and not for the faint of heart...I thought I was a pretty tough cookie but...guess not.

And there you have our morning...I was never so happy to be on ground level and in a air conditioned building.

Afterwards we left and walked around the area...we walked and saw the Tiber River....a name I know from the Bible which in itself was very cool.

In the picture below you can see over to The Vatican...a beautiful sight.
 A castle
 Another shot of the Tiber River
 and straight ahead a portion of the city wall around Rome
We then headed back to the hotel and took a little rest before our next tour...my body was tired and needed to recoup from the heat toll it took.

Next tour...Ancient Rome
The Roman Forum
 I was fascinated by the ruins....I would of loved to of seen it in it's prime.
It's a shame it wasn't preserved all these years.
 When new places in Rome were built and parts of The Vatican people came and took pieces from the area of The Roman Forum to build....if only they knew the history they were messing with....still something to be in awe about.
 I wish I could remember all the things we were told about what we were seeing but at this moment I can't so just enjoy it's beauty in the rubble.

But the Roman Forum was a place where people gathered and came to find out news and such.
 And what a beautiful sight to behold as your walking out of The Roman Forum area there is The Colosseo...Beautiful...I loved that building.
 Inside the Colosseo was amazing...but again it was a hot day...Rome was extremely hot this day and after my morning ordeal heat was the last thing I wanted to deal with....our guide kept asking..Robin, are you okay...yes, I'm okay, just hot.
 the picture below shows where the Emperor sat during the Gladiator games and if their were any diplomats they would sit on either side of the Emperor
 below shows what it was like underneath and you can see in the back a layer of flooring, in it's day the floor was completely covered and that is where the games were held and the area below was kinda a holding area of Gladiators and animals.
This truly is the first football stadium...I know now where the plans for a stadium came from.
 and a view looking out from the Colosseo....
Our Ancient tour was about 3 hours...we saw a lot and learned a lot and got a sun tan in the mean time...but loved every minute of it...we then went back to our hotel where we napped and cleaned up to get ready for our Rome by Night tour.

Tomorrow I will post part 2 of Day 3...as you can see today's post was rather long.
Until tomorrow...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did not disappoint. Day 3 was amazing. The Vatican tour must have been one of the highlights of your vacation. I would be in awe just to actual set foot there and I'm not even Catholic. The ruins looked amazing too. For a history buff like me, this vacation is like a kid in a candy shop. Thanks for letting me tag along.

Rita

Stacy said...

so glad you didn't pass out! that would have been awful!!!! love those pics!

Fonda said...

I know how much you were looking forward to this part of the trip. Sorry it wasn't what you had expected...but just think, you had a private audience with Peter...you just didn't know it at the time!