Thursday, January 7, 2010

First Post of The New Year....I'll Call It Curve Balls

Just as you think a new year is going to bring you something new and different...it does...maybe not what you expected but still different...I like to call them curve balls.

Tomorrow...Bailey...my Australian Shepherd turns 1 ( I got him on March 17th)...and he is very very sick. Though he seems to be a tiny bit better than the day before and even 12 hours ago...he is still very sick and needs to be closely monitored.

He is very anemic and his red blood cells and hemoglobin are very low.and because of this it has made the numbers low with his thyroid. Right now we are trying to figure out what disease he may have that is causing this or if he has been poisoned. Because of the blood clotting test results it may not be the poison though he is still being treated for it. Still waiting on 2 more test to come back on the clotting.

Bailey has done nothing but lay around and sleep, no energy and very pale. If you know Bailey, this is not normal, he has the energy of 5 dogs.

Tomorrow morning he goes back in for another blood test. His test from this morning show is red cell count is still dropping and he's close to a life threatening stage. If tomorrow it shows it has dropped anymore we may have to go to the animal hospital and he'll have to receive a blood transfusion and be in the hospital for awhile. Of course this could be costly but you do what you do, especially when there is a chance of survival.

Nights are hard cause your afraid to sleep that something may happen and you won't know. Bailey needs to be monitored and not left alone. You may think...why isn't he in the hospital now. Bailey's vet feels he can get better monitoring at home and it being less stressful on him. I can do the same thing they would do but more often. I know...still a little scared if something happened and I had to do that emergency drive.

So say a prayer for Bailey that his meds will work and his red blood cells will start to go up or that if he has to have a transfusion that he will be safe.

3 comments:

Fonda said...

Hope the doctor's visit goes well. Keep me updated.

August said...

I hope he get's better soon. I know that having only Brutus for a couple months, how much Bailey means to you. I know that I feel as if Brutus is my "baby pup"!

Brenda said...

Oh my I have had a dog in that condition, you and Bailey are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope he gets to feeling better soon.