Thursday, August 12, 2010

Me -vs- The Chicken

Just thought I would share...Yesterday I decided to cook. Those that know me very well know that I have rarely cooked over the last 4 years. Cooking is not one of my favorite thing. I cooked 30 years so why continue...plus it's just me.

Anyway, the night before I had decided that I was gonna cook chicken. I already had the cooking bags and seasoning and the chickens that were purchased through the Houston livestock show. Chickens I have plenty of...a funny thing since I don't cook.

The chicken were whole chickens, which were not a problem, I've cut up a whole chicken plenty of times...and then came the time to cut it....I asked myself...how long had it been since I cut one of these things up? So after looking at it and turning it over several times I was ready for the task that laid ahead.

I starting cutting ...had my pieces and then was like, something is missing...where is the thigh? Oh now I know...I learned to cut the thigh with the leg and then if I wanted it a separate piece I would do it that way.

Needles to say...the second chicken ( I cooked 2 and sent one over to Tammy and her family) was cut so much better than the first one and now I remember how to cut a chicken....like riding a bicycle....ha-ha!

4 comments:

Fonda said...

You cooked? Really? I thought you had forgotten how. Just kidding! I had a similar experience with the first HLSR chicken I cut up. I have been buying boneless, skinless chicken breast for a very long time and I had to think about how to do it. Plus those suckers are so much bigger than the chickens you buy in the grocery store that it makes a difference as to how many pieces you get out of it! A leg and thigh combo will feed a teenage boy and you might still have some left over!

Anonymous said...

I never learned how to cut a chicken so your a better cook than me. I couldn't stand the feel of the skin. Mom always asked me 'what are you going to do if your future husband wants fried chicken?' Without missing a beat I said, 'That's what KFC is for.

Rita

Robin said...

I agree...KFC is my favorite...and frying chicken...who wants that mess

Stacy said...

Ha, I just roast them whole and then cut them up after they are cooked!