Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 4 of My Canadian Adventure

Just let me warn you...this day was a busy day so there were lots of pictures to choose from.
I picked, re-picked, scratched off and re-scratched off the list of what pictures to post and this was the best I could do...sorry...but I know you'll enjoy looking at them. Today we headed out with Lonnie's (my cousin) family and did The Maid of The Mist.
This is where the boat takes you to get up close and personal with The Horseshoe Falls.
They give you pretty blue rain coats to help keep you dry.
As you can see, blue is our color.
Below is entering the falls area with all the mist and water coming from the falls....it actually feels like you are standing in the middle of a rain storm. Only one word can really describe it....
AWESOME!!!

After the" MOTM" we headed down to do The Journey Behind The Falls...it really wasn't that much...I would recommend The Cave of The Winds and Maid of The Mist...skip the Journey...but the walk over was wonderful...getting more pictures of the falls and scenery.
Below is what I call a Christmas Tree...I just love seeing trees like this grow ...to me this is not normal ...but oh so beautiful. I would love to have Christmas trees in my yard year round.


While walking along the falls, looking down this is the boat that takes you into the falls...so this is what we did earlier, just a different view and...I'm not on the boat.
again....AWESOME!!!!
Once you get out of this frame it is nice and sunny.

And another picture of Horseshoe Falls....Beautiful.

The trees and flowers were in bloom and it was just gorgeous...and yes Fonda I thought about you again when seeing all this beauty and taking pictures of it.


After we were done at the falls we headed by car about 10 minutes up the lake to do a Aero Ride...what is a Aero Ride? Well, see below...you get in this metal basket and it takes you across the river and back on a gable wire. Yes...a little freaky...what's up with this trip...usually I have stairs galore to deal with...this time everything dealt with heights. Not a big fan of heights.
So after we get there with our pre-paid tickets we are informed that the wind is too strong and we have to wait for it to die down....Ummm...not a good sign.
So we waited about 30 minutes and then it was time to get on.
Yes, it was a freaky ride but fun but with the wind it was freezing.
Here is Lonnie and myself going across the river about 175 feet in the air.


Then we all loaded back up in our vehicles and headed towards a town called Niagara On The Lake to have lunch. Along the way we stopped to take a picture of the floral clock. It's a working clock and filled in with flowers. It was cool to see but not if you made the drive just to see that....good thing we had other things to see.

Then we stopped to take a picture of the littlest church. This was really cool. You would think you couldn't get in it but you can...there is a alter area and benches on the side....I think you could put 10 smaller people inside for a service. It was built in 1969.

Homes along our drive....with Christmas trees in the yard....this was a nice area.
Did I mention I love Christmas trees in the yard.

Then we made it to the town of Niagara On The Lake...It's a historic town....beautiful.
We had lunch first and then we went into shops and did wine tasting.
They have something called Ice Wine and it is wonderful and I'm not a wine drinker.
If you don't know about Ice Wine I will share with you once I open the bottle and have a glass...in other words, I will blog about it later.

And more beautiful flowers...I love these colors.

After we were done Lonnie and I headed to Buffalo, New York to take her girls and their dad to the airport to catch their flight back to Tampa.
Once we got back into Canada we headed to a HUGE gift shop that we had past heading back towards the border and our hotel. I was in search of something I had not been able to find so far and thought surely this place has got to have it...It's HUGE...
But NO they did not have it...but it was still a cool place.
Outside in different areas they had things that were huge that resembled souvenirs...a plate, spoons, animals and this photo frame.
That's me standing inside a replica of a souvenir frame...now how cool is that. At least I thought it was cool, even though I did not find the souvenir I was in search of.


After that we headed back to the hotel...relaxed a little and then headed out and ended the night bowling.
It was a very good day in Canada.

3 comments:

Fonda said...

I love the blue rain ponchos...but I don't know if I could have made it on that sky view thing! Especially in that wind! Freaky, freaky! Thanks for the pictures!!!

Stacy said...

That was so cool! I love the basket ride!!! :) What an amazing day!! I think we have to live in a colder place to have those beautiful colorful flowers.

August said...

Great pictures! Sounds like you had fun in Canada.

I believe those pine trees are called Blue Spruce. Probably the most beautiful of all evergreens.