Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 6.... The End of My Canadian Adventure

We woke up early to the alarm...about 6:30 am...cleaned up and finished last minute packing...called to the front desk to do a quick check out...called for the car...loaded the car and headed back to the states.
Destination... Randolph, New York about an hour and a half outside of Buffalo.
Why Randolph, New York?
THE AMISH I have never seen them except for actors on TV playing the role and was just so curious to see them and how they live. Let me say this was just
AWESOME

And being so close, I just had to go. The above picture is of the first Amish we saw. Now mind you we had been driving for awhile in what appeared to be back country roads, though they were paved. Not having a clue where we were and relying on the GPS lady to get us to where we needed to be.

All of a sudden we saw a Amish man working in his yard and he had the cutest little girl standing in the yard watching him...she had on her blue dress and her straw bonnet, she looked to be about 4.
So we turned around to try and take her picture.
Now mind you the Amish frown upon pictures, having something to do with their faith. So trying to be respectful while still breaking the rules we just took pictures while driving by.
So the first picture I got was the dad working and on the second drive by...nothing...it was my cue that it wasn't meant to be. It's hard taking pictures in a moving vehicle and focusing in on a target.
Above this young man was in the road...here you share the road with The Amish...he waved us to pass him and turned to be friendly and even when he saw the camera he still was friendly...that usually is not the case...maybe him being young had something to do with it.
Amish laundry in the front yard.

Then this couple .... we passed them on the country road. At first I thought maybe they tried to turn their heads from the camera but I actually think they were already turned before I put camera up cause the wind was so strong and it was so cold out.

I think this picture will be blown up and will find it's place in my office among all my other travel mementos.

When we made it into the small town where there are modern convinces we saw so many buggy's...at the hardware store, grocery store and even the gas station. This couple pulled up to the gas tanks but they were not here for gasoline...they were here for kerosene...not that I would need oil for lamp but how cool is that.
Here is where we stopped to go into a so called store of an Amish...this is on their property and they make homemade goods and sell them on Friday and Saturday.
There was a woman and her 2 daughters working inside and it was cold.
Here I bought a cook book and we bought some homemade candy...it was good and not real sweet tasting...wish I would of bought more.,,but I wanted to see them up close and talk to them as well.

And below is the home of where we stopped to by goods.

We decided to go out a different direction from where he had come from when we planned to stop at the Amish house for goods. So glad we did...we saw more country side that was beautiful and found many working fields...here we saw a man and his son working the land. They were friendly and waved. I had the camera hidden and from the distance I don't think he saw it.
They say that the Amish are very friendly but if they see a camera they won't talk to you.
Just so cool to be driving down the open road and up in front coming towards you is a horse and buggy.
It's a whole different world.
Just a random picture of an Amish home.
You could tell who's homes were Amish and those that weren't by weather they had horse and buggy in the yard or barn or if they had a car in the yard or garage and those who had electricity and those who didn't.
There are regular folks living among the Amish...they must love the country too but with modern conveniences.
I have more pictures but already had to condense it down for the blog.
This ends our trip. After we were done driving the road from one end and back (about 20 miles each way) we headed towards the Buffalo airport...checked bags in and then returned rental car. Went through security, then stopped and had lunch...Buffalo hot wings...after all, we were in Buffalo.
Then it was time for my cousin to get on her flight and then I had about an hour until mine.
I must say...it was a wonderful trip...had a blast...saw and did lots of cool things ...but mostly enjoyed spending time with my cousin whom I don't see that often and having some good girl time as we did when we were younger.
So looking forward to our next trip.
Thanks for a wonderful time my dear cousin.
And the Amish rock!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

very cool! I also think they rock!