Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day One of My Canadian Adventure

Monday, May 3, 2010 6:35 am
I got in my Yukon and headed to Bush International Airport.
Destination....Buffalo, New York to meet my cousin Lonnie.
There we rented a car and headed to the border.
Destination....Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada Crossing the border was a little intimidating. Canadian border patrol...not so friendly.
Once we got through...did a couple turn arounds, we arrived at The Sheraton Fallsview, the closest hotel to the falls. We checked into our room and this was our view from our room.
Awesome!
The falls straight ahead is located on the American side and the one to the right is called the Horseshoe Falls and is located on the Canadian side.
And focusing more to the right side looking out of our room is Horseshoe Falls.

After getting settled in our room we headed out to walk around the area near our hotel.
This area is called Clinton Hill and is pretty much set up as an amusement park but designed along the street. There are haunted houses, wax museums, arcades and much more.
Here you can see the back side of our hotel from the street.

Bet ya haven't seen a Burger King like this one before.

We walked along some of the shops just checking out what was around the hotel and we wondered upon this
Canadian man...actually a statue of a
Royal Canadian Mounty Police.
I would love to see a real one.
After going back upstairs to change...it was getting a little chilly...we headed back towards the midway area.
Lonnie wanted to ride on The Sky Wheel...me, not so such..not a big fan of heights or amusement rides.
But being the good cousin I am I said I would but we needed to stop and have a couple drinks first....well, the drinks didn't happen and up we went.

A beautiful view...the picture doesn't capture it because the glass made it all blurry. I think we went around 5 or 6 times...stopped at the top (seriously, what was that about)...got a little queasy but it did get a little better each time around.
That color to the mid right of the photo is the falls lit up with color lights.

Oh...and once the ride was over we headed to The Hard Rock and there I had those drinks I didn't get before getting on The Sky Wheel ....I deserved it!
Oh...and by the way...the wheel goes 175 feet up....I know...CRAZY!!!!
Tomorrow I'll give you a recap of Day 2....Oh what fun we had...this first day was just a relax time after a full day of travel and delayed planes.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

That was so cool! What an amazing view! I must say, I am very proud of you - you are a good cousin!

Fonda said...

I guess we should have rode the ferris wheel in Santa Monica after all. It wpuld have been a piece of cake compared to that. Can hardly wait to hear about day 2.

Robin said...

one of the big differences is that this was enclosed and not open