Thursday, February 26, 2009

Grandma's Gone Wild...Day 3

February 21
This day was an "Interesting" day....some woke up early and some not so early...some felt okay and some not so okay...all for different reasons.
We kind of laid around and wasn't in too much of a hurry getting the day started...some because we we didn't want to, some because they couldn't and some because no one else was in gear so why should somebody else.
Confusing?
That was the theme for the day...in my mind anyway.
So Confucius says...get your ass out of bed and head to
Chinatown and that's just what we did.

The above picture is the entrance into Chinatown. There was a shorter route to get into Chinatown from our flat but we (me) needed to go through the entrance so we walked....not too bad, mostly down hill but a little up but still not bad. It was the shorter route back to the flat that killed us...or at least Fonda and me. I thought I was gonna die. She claims she complained the most about going up the hills but I think that's only because I couldn't talk....I was trying to catch my breathe and get my heart out throat.

But Chinatown was fun. So different than New York City's Chinatown. Now I think I want to go to every cities Chinatown just to compare.

I found a Chinese outfit for Colton and a hat. As soon as I'm done with posing on the trip I will post pictures of the grand-babies in their attire. Since Colton was born, every trip I've gone on I've been able to get him a hat that went with the country, state, city, etc.... I think I'm gonna have to plan my vacations around places that have special hats.

I was also able to find a Chinese girl hat for Hayden as well. Hoping to get the 2 of them together for that photo opt...anyway....back to San Francisco.

We shopped...had lunch at a Chinese restaurant...what else are you gonna find in Chinatown? The food was good...the lay was different.

It was getting close to dark and we headed back to the flat to decide if we were going to stay in or not....we were a little tired but one of us wanted to go to Haight -Ashbury...so...we hired a car and driver... (our driver from the airport)...The picture below is of the area during the day. It was taken the day before on our tour of the city. This is the place that in the 60's was where the free love movement began....along with some other stuff. The area is a little different and something from the pages of a 60's magazine...needless to say the night time vibe is a little different. There is the new generation of hippie. A little ...ummm...different....different is a good word to use.

Our driver dropped us off on the corner so he could go park...a good place for 4 women to get out of a limo in a seedy part of town. We went into a shop for Bev to find something vintage. I must admit...I didn't get it...it looked like a garage sale resale shop ...plus it seemed dirty. The area freaked me out. Stacy and I would stand outside because we felt dirty inside but then when we would stand outside we felt like we needed to go back inside. As I said...Interesting!

We went into a second store that made better sense and was clean...felt better in that one.

We have no pictures of the night because there was nothing to take pictures of...wait...I take it back...Bev wanted to take a picture of the new generation hippies on the sidewalk (to me...street kids who were 20 something) with their guitars and I think their weed too...so we all kinda walked back while Bev being the brave one took her picture...needless to say it was not received very well and we got the hell out of Haight-Ashbury!

Our driver picked us up and took us into Little Italy for some Italian food. We offered our driver to join us for dinner but 10 blocks later he was still trying to find parking so we we ordered and when he picked us up we surprised him with a take out order of a Calzone...he was a happy camper!

After a full belly and a day that should of been spent in bed we headed back to the flat for a good night's sleep to be good and rested for tomorrow's adventures.

Day 4 to follow....

And don't forget to place your vote ....look for it on the right in the side bar.

No comments: