Friday, August 3, 2012

A Night In Venice

So after an afternoon of sightseeing we wondered back to San Marco's Square.
I had read lots of reviews that this was the place to grab a table, have dinner and some wine and just people watch.

So, we decided to try it out and see what it was all about.
Early in the day this place is jammed back with people and up til around 6-7 but as the night sets in it clears out but still with the right amount of people.
 So, this square is famous for the pigeons that come and mingle with the people. Kids are trying to play with the birds, people are feeding them and then holding feed in their hands for the birds to come and land on them...there are bitds in people's hair and some people are laying on the ground and letting the birds cover them up.
 Not sure who's idea it was that we take pictures with the birds but looks like I thought that was a good idea....really? It was a little freaky...everytime they nibbled or moved it just freaked me out.
Can you tell?
 But it was fun and then again...only in Venice.
 Isn't that a beautiful sight...the church in San Marco's square...makes for a lovely back drop...
Don't you think?
 My chair was only there for the picture...I sat where I could out to the square and see the people with the church to my left...a good view for both...I loved looking at that church.

We had wine, talked, people watch and listened to the band, kicked our feet up on an open chair....what a wonderful night it was...and what a way to just chill.
the breeze was wonderful and before the sun went down we were on the side of the square that was shaded.
 Cousins enjoying the night...not a care in the world except for did we get the right wine shot.
Wine was our theme through this trip.
I think we ended up having 2 bottles of wine and a extra glass each...I knew we couldn't do 3 but needed that last one to end the night right...I didn't want to leave...I think I could of slept in my chair for the night right there in the square.
Looks like it's time to go....Lonnie is ready to pay the check
Afterwards we went around the corner to a deli place and got a sandwich to share, as we hadn't had dinner....we took it back to the room andate in comfort, our jammies.

Today was a successful first day in Venice and a wonderful sixth day of our trip in Italy.
Join me tomorrow as I take you through our journey on Day 2 in Venice.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Wonderful veiw love the church in San Marco's square... That is a beautiful city!!

:-) so happy for cousin time.

Fonda said...

As I said when y'all posted those pics on Facebook...the birds look FREAKY! Y'all are brave.

Stacy said...

wow - not sure I would have liked the birds that close - yuck!

Robin said...

the birds were freaky....but it was one of those thing you just had to do cause everyone was doing it....can't tell you how many times I screamed or let out a loud noise