Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School...The Teacher and The Kindergarten Kid

Today I had the privilege to be a part of Colton's first day of Kindergarten.
 
Tammy is a teacher (her second year) and would not be able to walk Colton to class when it was time since she had to be on duty to receive her students....Kyle was unsure if he could make it on time (he's a police officer and works the night shift) so I offered my services if she needed me.
 
Guess what...she needed me!
How excited I was...I had always wanted to be a part of this milestone but also not wanting to take away from the parent so I never asked...after all I had already done my duty with taking kids to the first day of school.
 
Kyle was able to make it...he made it to the school right after we did so we did pictures, went to Tammy's classroom and when it was time I joined Kyle in walking Colton to class.
 
 Colton in front of the school sign...the sun is trying to come out but not quite yet...
Tammy had to be at school a little early being a teacher and all
 Colton was was excited for school to start
 Colton and his mommy on their first day of school
 Colton and all his school gear and below Tammy behind her desk...I think she's excited about her first day as well....she's a second year teacher but this is her first year at this school
 Colton outside his classroom...he's ready to go inside and get his day started
 and he's at his desk...he's a happy camper
I will say, it is so much easier taking your grandchild to his first day of school than your own child...for me it was less emotional....I feel the excitement he feels and though I still wonder where the time went I was able to enjoy this milestone in his life...I remembering when taking my own to school for the first time, once I made it back to the car I cried all the way home...my babies weren't babies anymore and I knew that we were getting closer to the time they wouldn't need me as much anymore...so yes, a different feeling this time around.
 
To Tammy and Colton ....I hope you both have a wonderful school year.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Ah,you Grams and Moms sure have rekindled sweet memories today of that first day. Thanks for sharing this sweet post I wish them a wonderful year full of great things ahead!

You are so sweet to help my mom did those things for me.

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone has a great first year at a brand new school! Both Colton & Tammy look very excited for the school year! Glad you got to take them both and share pictures! :)

Peter