Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Handy Girl

Friday early afternoon I headed south....destination...
The Beach House.
My friend Fonda was able to get away and join me...Stacy wasn't able too. Fonda got out to the house somewhere around 5:30....as soon as she got there we poured a drink and found our spot on the deck. That's where we stayed until a little after 10...just visiting and catching up.
The next morning we got up and did our routine....coffee on the deck...walks on the beach with Bailey....just relaxing with good company,
We were in the kitchen and I was fixing BLT's and Bailey started barking towards the sink....I looked over and there was water coming out of the cabinet under the sink. So....I opened the door and found that it was flooded underneath and by the looks of it that sink had been leaking for sometime because of the mildew under neath. We were thinking that the pipe may of come loose during the storm. After all I have only been here a couple days since the storm and the water wasn't used that much.
So...I thought about calling a plumber and Fonda called Jim (her husband)cause she was almost positive that we could fix it ourselves. So, she made the call, she took a piece of the pipe off and to Home Depot we headed. We got what we needed and headed back to the house for the repairs.
Below is the where the pipe came out of the wall...and the mildew gathering on the pipes.
And here's my fix it girl making the repairs.....my motto now when it comes to repairs....who needs a handy man when you got Fonda!
Fonda did a wonderful job but after fixing 2 parts of the pipe she discovered another piece was loose and needs to be fixed better than what it is right now...it just wasn't noticed because of the other issues....I guess these means Fonda HAS to come back to the beach to finish the job!

After the fix it repairs we went back to the deck until dark.
These pictures are what I woke up to Saturday morning...the whole structure of the beach has changed since Hurricane Ike made his visit and these pictures show you how....as you can see the line of a rebuilt dune the water is right behind it....with wind, high tide, not as much beach as before and low spots it makes it easy for water to come in and stay awhile and looks as though there is no beach.
And here I am on the beach looking down...very few sand areas and even those are so soft with the feel of water underneath. If you did know better you would wonder if their was a storm brewing in the Gulf...last time I saw the beach look like this Dolly was brewing in the Gulf and I think she was just a tropical storm.
Today I'm still at the beach....Fonda left close to noon yesterday and I decided to stay one more day...just couldn't tear myself away. This morning I will clean up and then head back home and prepare for the arrival of Colton while Tammy goes to school.
Hope your weekend was as relaxing

2 comments:

Fonda said...

You know that it REALLY bothers me that there is still a small leak under that sink. I wanted to solve the whole problem. Thankfully it is only a drop or two when you are actually using the water. If it is not repaired by the time I get back, we will have to make another trip to Home Depot to finish up. And next time we might just have to replace it all since the previous plumber evidently did a pretty poor job of overlapping the pipe adequately.

I guess being married to a pipe fitter for 28 years is rubbing off on me!

August said...

Yay! a DIY girl after my own hear!

I'm glad you two had a nice time at the beach.